Tooth Extractions in Medina, OH
As dentists in Medina, OH, our goal is to prevent dental decay and gum disease and maintain the integrity of your smile for as long as possible. Life can have other ideas, however, and there may be a situation when extracting a tooth is better for your long-term oral health.
We understand that the idea of having a tooth removed can seem overwhelming, and we intend to keep you comfortable and healthy. Dr. Horan is a highly skilled oral and maxillofacial surgeon who has achieved many successful extractions at our Frontier Dental clinic.
Reasons for a Tooth Extraction
There are multiple reasons why a tooth removal is necessary to maintain a healthy smile, including:
- A decaying tooth – A common reason for pulling a tooth is when the tooth is severely damaged, either from gum disease or injury. Our dental team will examine your tooth to see if root canal treatment is a viable option. If not, an extraction will relieve you of any pain and prevent infection.
- Make room in your mouth – Sometimes, tooth extractions are necessary for orthodontic aligners to align your teeth correctly. If your teeth are too crowded, it may be required to remove a tooth. Likewise, if a tooth cannot break through your gumline because your mouth doesn’t have enough room, extraction is necessary. Some patients experience pain from wisdom teeth that cannot grow in correctly, but don’t worry––we are here to make you comfortable!
- Broken tooth – The dentists at our Medina, OH dental office can sometimes bond a crown to an existing tooth, but if the tooth is cracked below or at the gumline, removing that tooth to make room for a dental implant or bridge will restore your smile.
- Make space for dentures – To prepare your mouth for complete dentures on the lower or upper arch, your dentist will start by removing any existing teeth. In some cases where multiple healthy teeth remain, partial dentures are a viable option.
- Infection – Untreated dental decay can sometimes infect the pulp and can’t receive a root canal. The dentist will recommend a tooth extraction to prevent the spread of infection.
Tooth Extractions and What to Expect
We understand that tooth extractions can be nerve-wracking, and our team’s goal is to ensure you feel comfortable and confident in our care. Your safety comes first, and we will do everything we can to make sure your treatment is painless.
Your oral surgeon will give you an injection of a local anesthetic to numb the area where the extraction will take place. This anesthetic will ensure you feel no pain during the procedure and sleep comfortably during it. We inform our patients how to reduce any risk of infection, minimize pain, and recover quickly in the comfort of their homes.
Replacing an Extracted Tooth
Once you have undergone a tooth extraction, we highly recommend having a tooth replacement done. When there is a gap in your jawbone, teeth can shift closer and affect your ability to chew or speak effectively.
Tooth replacement options in our Medina, OH dental clinic include:
- Dental implants
- Complete dentures
- Partial dentures
- Immediate dentures
Immediate dentures are a perfect instant solution for tooth replacement. Through this process, you can expect to smile with confidence right after the procedure. Immediate dentures are removable and easy to clean. They are fabricated from dental acrylic, so they are soft and comfortable while you wear them.
Give Us a Call Today at Our Medina Dental Office
Contact us at Frontier Dental today if you are living with pain or need a new smile—we are here for you! If you are in the greater Cleveland metro area and surrounding towns, let us be your long-term dental support team.