All-On-4 in Medina, OH
Do you have a gap in your smile due to a missing tooth? If you are experiencing tooth loss, you probably are highly aware of all the different problems that people experience with tooth loss. Not only has your appearance and smile changed, but you might also experience difficulty when eating certain foods, and many people report having to adjust to a change in their speech.
Beyond these immediate and superficial changes, underneath the surface changes are taking place you may not notice. Without a tooth’s root to anchor the jawbone, your mouth and jawline begin to change shape. People tend to develop a sunken look and over time their entire smile changes due to shifting teeth. At Frontier Dental, we have many different options for tooth replacement.
The All-on-4 dental implant procedure is a straightforward way to replace all teeth or dentures in Medina, OH.
What Are All-On-4 Dental Implants?
All-on-4 dental implants are a permanent solution for tooth replacement that functions like naturally rooted teeth. All-on-4 implants reinforce a whole arch of teeth using only four implants. This procedure can be done on either the upper or lower jaw and immediately restores missing teeth with implants that look and function just like your natural teeth.
An All-on-4 implant reconstruction is a modern approach in the dental implant industry that results in an aesthetically pleasing smile as well as complete oral function. Many patients in Medina, OH who have worn dentures for years and now prefer a more permanent solution that does not slip or fall out prefer All-on-4 as a tooth replacement option.
How Does All-On-4 Work?
All-on-4 utilizes four titanium implants strategically inserted into the jaw bone. These implants serve as the foundation for a customized set of teeth, which are shaded to blend with your existing teeth and placed on the implants.
Even if you have experienced a little bone loss, you may still be a good candidate for All-on-4. Tilting the dental implants by 45 degrees reduces any need for bone grafting and can restore you with a set of teeth that are indistinguishable from your natural smile.
The All-on-4 procedure
If this tooth replacement procedure sounds like a good option for you, the first step is scheduling a consultation with our Board Certified Prosthodontist, Dr. Karunagaran, so that he and the oral surgeon can develop a smile plan for you. The evaluation may involve taking x-rays, digital images, impressions, and other details.
If the consultation is successful, our Medina, OH staff will schedule a dental implant surgery. Sometimes tooth extractions are necessary, and your dentist will fit you with new teeth in one day.
Aftercare is as easy as maintaining your natural teeth along with regular and frequent check-ups as advised by Dr. Karunagaran. Generally, it should take about three to six months for your gums and bone to fuse to the implant fully.
Benefits of All on 4 Implants over Dentures
- Able to take teeth out and place implants on the same day.
- Preservation of bone and no need for grafting
- Reduces healing time as you don’t have to have multiple surgical visits
- Only uses 4 implants so reduced cost
- Predictable with high outcomes and longevity
- Allows for temporary teeth placement in the same day fixed to your implants.
- Improves your appearance
- Better proprioception (Ability to feel your teeth or, in this case, your implants)
- Increases your bite force and ability to chew.
- Looks great as they are made from ceramic instead of acrylic
How Is All-On-4 Different from Dental Implants?
All-on-4 dental implants are different in that they do not need bone grafting and only use four dental implants that can support an entire arch of teeth replacement. Traditional dental implants can require a much higher number of single implants to support a whole arch. All-on-4 only need four implants because the tilted angle of the implants can support longer implant posts.
If you have dentures or multiple missing teeth in Medina, OH, this may be the best procedure for you. This dental treatment offers the same stability and function with less healing time, and the final cost is lower than multiple single dental implants.
Is All-On-4 Right for Me?
At Frontier Dental, we recommend All-in-4 for patients who need to replace a full arch. This dental procedure is also an excellent option for patients with lower bone volume who are not candidates for bone grafting for various reasons.
Our Medina, OH dental clinic will evaluate your dental needs and oral health before recommending any tooth replacement procedure. During your visit, Dr. Karunagaran will explain all your treatment options and their benefits.
Things to consider with All on 4 Implants
- Only 4 implants and some patient may need more because of their bone quality
- The temporary teeth sometimes do not look great as there is no opportunity to try them in the mouth. The final teeth can however always be customized and tried in so you are happy before we progress.
- Cleaning can be difficult, and some patients might struggle with it.
- We need to have bulk for strength and as a result, you might feel thickness that can affect your speech
- The more bone that is lost the bulkier the prosthetics as you must make up for the lost bone and soft tissue as well as the tooth.
- Not good for situations where the implants can only be placed too far forward. Tippling the last implant in this case will not be able to provide you with back teeth. In this case, a different type of prosthesis might be better.
- If you are a grinder this might not be the restoration of choice for you. Implants have 10 times less feeling than teeth and as a result, it takes you much longer to realize that you cannot bite on a tooth without it hurting. With a tooth, you might feel pain as you bite hard but with an implant, you will not so this might cause fracture of the restoration. Especially in dual arch patients.
- Sometimes Implant Overdentures might be a better way to go!
- Remember that each patient and every situation is different but when done right this might be the right prosthesis for you.
Patient Surgical Anxiety
Dental surgery can create a feeling of anxiety in our patients, which we understand. If you are feeling nervous about your All-on-4 procedure, talk to our Medina, OH dental staff about how we can make you more comfortable. Your dentist will sedate you during the process, so you won’t feel any pain or discomfort.
Book Your Appointment Today for Your First Step to a New Smile
Our dental clinic uses ultramodern dental equipment and technology to create the perfect foundation for your new smile. Dr. Karunagaran will be able to precisely place the dental implants to support your full arch to restore your ability to eat, speak, chew, and smile naturally. Dr. Karunagaran is the only prosthodontic practicing Board-Certified Prosthodontist in NE Ohio and takes in patients from the whole region, including Wadsworth, Medina, Hinkley, Akron, and Fairlawn.
Start the journey to your new smile by calling Frontier Dental today!